When we were down in Masterton visiting our grandparents, my sister and I got to choose six fat quarters each! I chose aquas and purples for the stash and my sister went the project-oriented route. She found this marvellous duck fabric and decided she wanted to make a pillow out of it!
I kind of took command over the project. I did this for her birthday. She really liked it, and I have to admit that I'm really impressed with how it came out!
I did some straight-line quilting-in-the-ditch around the centre square and light green fabric, then a couple of lines on the ponga border. I really like the ponga fabric! It's directional so it was a bit interesting getting the borders out of the fabric I had, but I managed it.
I did some hand quilting in the centre square! I outlined the ducks and did some wavy lines across the water. It didn't look great until the pillow was inside the cover - they really pop now, and I'm so glad I took the extra time to do that.
For the back I used some strips of the fabric that was left over and just did some straight-line quilting.
My machine did not like attaching the binding through that many layers. I think I'm going to have to fiddle with the settings or try out different needles in order to make that bit easier.
All in all, a very satisfying finish! The quilting gives the cover structure while still being delightfully squishy. I think I'd like to make these to accompany the quilts that I make!