Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Rada WIP

I had to stop working on my sewing machine cover because the quilting was hurting my fingers. I haven't found a thimble I can use comfortably. So I decided to work on something else for a while!

I've been working on Rada, the quilt for my older brother that was due... oh, about the 12th of May, you know. Progress on it had slowed considerably given several factors that couldn't be overcome, and this time, I'm not going to be hard on myself about it. Things happen!


I changed the design around a tiny bit, mostly to compensate for the missing row - my brother decided that he couldn't stand a square quilt. That's okay, I guess. Little less work for me, and four extra blocks to make into pillows. Neat!


I used QAYG sashing to join the QAYG blocks together. I was worried that the sashing would be too stark a contrast against the blocks, especially the light grey ones, but I think they hold their own pretty well!


I used this tutorial from The Quilting Edge to help me with the sashing, except I folded over the wider strip an inch instead of folding it in half, to save fabric, and used the narrower strip for the front of the quilt instead of the back. I would definitely recommend that you cut the wider strip wider and fold it in half because folding over that inch was annoying, fiddly and imprecise.


I used the narrower strip on the front of the quilt because I wanted the sashing to be crisp and uniform there, without the slight variance of width the folded-over strip adds into the mix. This also meant that I needed to hand-stitch down the flap on the back of the quilt since I didn't want a stitching line showing on the front. Doing that really makes you appreciate just how long the total sashing in a quilt is!


It was pretty exciting seeing the quilt come together as I pictured it! The scale drawings helped with visualising the quilt, that's for sure.


Wow quilts get large and unwieldy very quickly. I couldn't imagine free-motion quilting anything this size (it's almost queen-sized, I think?), definitely not with my current machine anyway.


So this is what it looks like at the moment! I've just got to trim it and add a 6" black border all the way around. I think I can do some fun piecing on the backside of the border to use up some of the scraps, too!

Linking up to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced!

11 comments:

  1. Love your quilt. Great colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the thumb nails on the linky, this at once stood out for me. I love the colour combinations and the strength and clean lines of this design. Deciding to put the strips across the blocks, but each a little different really makes it. Brother is a lucky boy and I hope he appreciates it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Gray, orange and black ordinarily makes me think of Halloween, but not this time. Looks great! I hope your brother knows how lucky he is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your strong colours - what a great quilt for a man.(Though not just a man!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME QUILT. Love the colors, love the design. I have a collection of fabrics in those exact colors. Inspires me to pull them out again and do something with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The movement is spot on - wonderful progress and doing it QAYG is super smart. Lucky brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pattern and the colours are great too! Boys tend to like orange a lot!

    I plan on doing my Tula City Sampler blocks as QAYG because 100 blocks will make it super huge to quilt. I'll check out that tutorial you linked because I'm going to have to figure out how to join them eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great contemporary design on the quilt - the warm orange block in the center is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

  9. Hello!! I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited.Thank you.
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete