Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Staaash, Buttons and (managing) Obsession

Oh it has been a long time since I've acquired fabric. Oh yes, how I miss the feeling. I've bought a fat quarter here and there, mostly for bee blocks but yardage is very different.


Yardage has substance to it, significant weight. Like you could endeavour to make a big quilt out of it and not find yourself stranded, having run out of fabric in the middle of piecing. Or like you could hit someone with it and it would hurt. Substance.


I confess, I didn't even buy this bundle. I'd left it behind with a whole bunch of other fabric when I moved back home and I've only just gotten it back now. But it feels like new fabric!
  The quilt I'd decided on for this bundle was mail-themed and I obsessed over it, I loved it. I've changed my mind though, I'm not sure if I like the combination so much anymore, and the mail-themed quilt has lost its allure. I know I'm going to use this selection to test out the centre of a medallion quilt I have planned, so that will help me see if I do indeed like these fabrics together, but apart from that, this bundle is project-less!


A couple of weeks ago I bought two sets of covered buttons because they were very cheap and I was dying to play with them. I've a perpetual calendar in mind, based on the one in Rashida Coleman-Hale's book I Love Patchwork. She's made a few iterations over time and I adore them all. She uses covered buttons in other projects as well, and I think I'm just falling in love with them in general!
   Do you ever have those projects that just consume you? Ones that you get obsessed over and you think them and re-think them and re-think them again just because it's such a beautiful idea? I absolutely love it when that happens. It's a strange kind of obsession because while it can take away from other creative pursuits, suddenly you just have so much fire in you for this one thing and it's beautiful, to be full of that energy.
   I get obsessed sometimes, not just with projects but with whole crafts, or games. It was crochet, then knitting, then Pokemon (oh that was a bad time for me) and now quilting. Recognising that I go through stages of obsession is important for me so that I can weigh up if I really do want to start this new thing, because it may not last. It also means that I refuse to get sucked in to TV shows ('fandoms', I guess you'd call that) because I just can't afford to lose the time and creative energy if I got hooked. I'd like to lightly enjoy an episode a week of something-or-other but I don't seem to have a 'gentle river outing' setting on that sort of thing; it's more like a 'waterfall' setting. Quilting appears to be the closest I've come to that 'gentle river outing' level, and that's rather pleasing.

Have you had creative ideas that consume you, that you just can't stop thinking about? An idea for a new quilt, perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. raviv dozetas housing crisis isn’t a new problem rather a sore that’s been festering for amany years and has now reached epic proportions, one magic solution is not going to cure the problem, rather a multi teared approach that involves multiple sectors of society together with a co-ordinated and supported government backed approach can permanently solve the problem for now, and provide the required housing annually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brass telescope with tripod is an online store selling fine optics; watches, electronics, radio controlled clocks and jewelry. We have been in operations since 1974. Currently, we only carry a few carefully selected merchandise that our customers have selected as their favorites. However, we are constantly searching the world to locate innovative merchandise.

    Please stay tuned by joining our list to receive special offers; and learn about our latest exciting new products. Your privacy is very important to us; we will not share your information with any third party. Shop with confidence; our site is SSL encrypted for the security of your personal information.

    ReplyDelete